Aug 24, 2014

Finding Beauties, Sold



Finding Beauties
4x4" #201438
Oil on board
SOLD - Contact me regarding commissions.
scshisler@gmail.com

Still painting smalls.  Gearing up slowly for bigs.  Experimenting with new surfaces and substrates.  For a long time I've used Centurion Linen sheets mounted on either superior quality gatorboard (which survives a surprising amount of abuse) or Ampersand gessoboard - which is more recently. Going through my stock (you know, the stuff that we buy then squirrel away for use in the next brilliant painting, which will obviously be better because of it...then forget we have it), I found some Ampersand wood blocks 4x4".  I never used them for anything because I hadn't realized I ordered the ones that were about 1.5" thicker than I wanted.  Anyway - found them yesterday and decided to try them out for my smalls.  Being impatient and ill prepared to do this the right way, I painted directly on the wood without any kind of priming.  Loved the light color of the natural wood - very useful in establishing values right away.  And really love the way my knife sails right over the surface. Which solves a lot of the issues I have with poorly made strokes. They are never perfect as in my mind, but I think maybe on this wood I have a better chance of making the strokes I intend.  I have developed a HUGE pet peeve about unexpected dips and valleys in my knife strokes - especially around my figural pieces. It's because I use the movement and direction of the knife to support the overall design. Knives create depth in the paint.  For me, I think this must be studied carefully before making the marks. Sometimes I think about the next single stroke for a very long time. Might be akin to surgery. Not sure how I ended up with this mind set after beginning my knife painting adventure years ago with large canvases so that I could experience freedom and spontaneity. These smalls, though, have turned out to be invaluable little lessons in all the important things that go into successful painting. This painting has strengths and weaknesses.  I am trying to let go of the harsh judgements I make and find contentment in the parts that are good and sound.

WORKSHOPS and CLASSES

• Three Day Palette Knife Technique and Philosophy Workshop scheduled for November 19th-21st, 2014 at SoBo Art Gallery in Winter Garden Florida.  $320 for 3 days. Workshop is limited to 8 students. Please call or email me at 321-331-3045 or scshisler@gmail.com to secure your spot!

• Three Day Palette Knife Technique and Philosophy Workshop scheduled for January 6-8th, 2015 at the Crealde School of Art in Orlando Florida. (Winter Park Area). $400 for 3 days. Workshop is limited to 15 students and will coincide with my Solo Show at Grace Gallery at the Ancient Olive. For more workshop information, please email Barbara Tiffany or call 407-656-4155.

• Four Day Intensive - Palette Knife Technique and Philosophy with focus on clean color mixing based on theory. Workshop scheduled for January 28th-30th, 2015 at my studio, Sally Shisler Palette Knife Painting Studio, in Winter Garden Florida. $450 for 4 days. This will be an intense session where students will be practicing technique and learning how to translate their brush painting skills into palette knife artistry. Intermediate - Advanced.  Workshop is limited to six students. Please call or email me at 321-331-3045 or scshisler@gmail.com to secure your spot.

• Palette Knife Technique and Philosophy Workshop scheduled for May 2015 at The Art School in Sandy Springs Atlanta, Georgia. $450 for 3 days. For more information, please email Donna Thomas at 404-313-7356.


• Announcing one day, 3 hour intensive COLOR MIXING sessions at my studio, Sally Shisler Palette Knife Painting Studio, in Winter Garden Florida.  These sessions are designed to help students prepare for their own paintings that they will paint at home with their premixed palette. This is all about thorough color mixing; not actual painting. Each student will be provided with a high quality color print of their selected photograph with a clear breakdown of which colors will be mixed. Preparing a palette of clean, harmonious color before putting knife/brush to canvas gives you a head start on a successful painting. Sessions are held on the second Saturday of each month. Cost is $50. Beginner-Advanced. Space is limited to six students. Please call or email me at 321-331-3045 or scshisler@gmail.com to secure your spot.

Private Lessons at my studio in Winter Garden, FL. Cost is $100 for three hours. Those interested, please call or email me at 321-331-3045 or scshisler@gmail.com to make an appointment.

BOOKS:

• Now Available!  Sally Shisler - Contemporary Impressionist Painter, A Collection of Palette Knife Paintings from 2011-2014
• Sally Shisler - Color Mixing for Radiant Harmony in your Paintings. This book will go in depth with how I prepare my colors from careful subject observation through completion of a painting. Step by step color choices and mixing will be diagrammed with detailed written instruction.

VIDEOS/DVDS:
Coming soon...

2 comments:

Carmel Georgescu said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I really love your small palette knife paintings. Curious if you will change when you work more with larger canvases, like more detail and color variation. You have a gift for simplifying the subjects and catching the mood of the moment. Awesome work.